Friday, January 15, 2010

10,000 Steps


MP has a pedometer and as part of our workout we try to get at least 10,000 steps a day. Now I don't know how far 10,000 steps are, I just know its far enough to make my right knee ache like never before. I'd guess its about 4 miles. So you know me, never let pain or common sense stand in the way of anything yesterday we decided to walk old town and then to Stone Island. At 8 am we take the Sabalo Centro bus 6 miles into town and get off at Los Pinos where the fisherman come in. This I love to see but this morning I figure they're not doing much better than me. They have some pargo and a bunch of really small mahi mahi,mostly they just hang out and shoot the bull....just like us.

Then we decide to walk the neiborhoods and cut some distance off on our way to the next ocean view. Right away we came across this gym thatwas either closed or out of business, what a cool sign eh? Mazatlan is just waking up and theres little traffic so we walk down the middle of the street because its way safer than the sidewalks. We finally get through the neighborhoods and turn west towards the ocean when I find this elevated foot path that I figure is a shortcut. This path provides access to houses that are built right into the side of a cliff. MP asks me how they got there furniture delivered.


Finally we're back on Paseo Clausen and the ocean. We come across this collpased sidewalk covering at the famous Belmar Hotel. The Belmar is 100 years old and the first nice place in Mazatlan. Its the place that John Wayne stayed at in the day and to this day has a unique charm. But for some reason on January 14 2010 at around 6 am part of it decided to give up. You can see in the pic that the poor apatment dwellers now have extra windows. Nobody was hurt.

We leave the Belmar area and stop at a couple "supermarkets" that are everywhere to try and get a fresh tamale for breakfeast. Its still to early so we hump the hill to the Pacific college and start the last downhill. Stunning views along the water of rock cliffs. islands, the surf pounds the vertical cliff and climbs the wall and then disappears into mist. At a little viewing area I set the timer and took this pic.

It turned out to be 'cruise ship' day and there were lots of people so we bee lined for the water taxi and next thing you know we're sitting under a palapa having Pacificos with our Alaskan friends Mike and Cathy. MP had fried chicken and I had quacamole and some sopes, along with about 8 Pacificos our bill came to 350 pesos, 28 bucks. 10,000 steps and a sore knee....OH, when we got home we had the first hot Toro bite of the trip and I must have caught 20 of them. Man oh man, a great day.

3 comments:

  1. Jeffro,Those look like big boy beers??Looks like you and your GIRLFRIEND are having a great time...cjf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,
    Sorry I have not done a very good job at making this a two-way conversation. Please know I wouldn't miss a new blog. I usually print out the latest and read it to Carrie over coffee in the morning. We were belly-laughing pretty hard when reading "Me and MP". The new blogs from Mexico are pretty cool, the way they give an insight to what your life there is like. Keep 'em coming!!
    Terry W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Terry...1st, the 'Me and MP' was of course my favorite so far also.

    Its pretty cool that 25 years ago we met and still have the same fellowship...give Carrie a hug....stung by a jelly fish today, I hope it didn't hurt him............JK

    ReplyDelete