Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Man, thats alot of Fish

Yesterday me and Ernie and Slah went to our Corvina spot north of here past the old Betty Ford clinic. We were on the 4-wheeler so we could work the area harder and stop at more places. We cast and cast and nothing. Ern hooked something that got off in surf and we all tried to convince ourselves that it was a Corvina. But the Corvina seem to be missing this year and by about 10 am I'd been stung by a jellyfish, slapped on the shin by a stick the 4-wheeler ran over and my right arm was going numb from casting....other than that it was a great morning. So we pack it up and head south to the car when we come across this swarm of fish. Incredible.
Thousands upon thousands of Toro had the sardines pinned against the beach and were slowly making there way north. What you see in this pic is just a small portion of the feeding frenzy but you can plainly see the water just boiling with fish in front of Slah. The beach was littered with sardines when we jumped off the 4-wheeler and went to work. Fish on the 1st cast, the 2nd cast and so on. We moved north with them 3 or 4 times eventually ending up at the shade structure the oyster guys use and they were all happy to take the toro we caught. Ernie couldn't keep them off the line. Heres a pic of a pretty typical toro. These babys fight, Slah says they pull better with more endurance than the Rooster when you get one the same size. I can hardly imagine. This fish here might weigh 7 pounds. Tie it tail to tail with a coho salmon and he'd drag the silver backwards.

Usually these early morning trips that I love are done by 10 or so. But yesterday after breaking down the rods, washing the salt off the 4-wheeler and driving to town it wasn't until 1:00 that I got home. MP asked what happened and all I could say is "man you can't believe all the fish". I've seen similiar frenzies right here on our beach but I think this one was like world class....even Slah was impressed and he's seen it all.

7 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    That picture of the frenzy is as cool as it gets. Anyone who has ever seen this in person can only imagine what was in front of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Pinks boil in Kodiak out in Sharatin Bay in about 2 feet of water creating another 1 to 2 foot wave of fish. I'm sure it's nothing like the sardines though, must have been hundreds of thousands of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nate.........yup, I've seen the pinks throw a wake. But this is different but looks the same, they're feeding big time. The toro pin the bait against the beach and its crazy. I have another pic thats cool I'll put up tommorrow.....you guys all good in Alaska?...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I forgot to add. These toro are fast, lightning fast. They're so strong and fast that you see them swim out of an inch of water, almost beached. .....If only king salmon were that hungry eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, as good as we can get I guess. I managed to have a pretty serious injury playing hockey a month and a half ago and won't be venturing out much for the next 3 months. Snapped the foot off right at the leg bones, the only thing that didn't break was the achilles tendon, everything else was completely broken off. The warm weather sounds nice right now. So, what's the fishing license rules in Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly, that sounds terrible, maybe we oughta retire from that hockey deal eh?

    No fishing license in Mexico for fishing from land. If you go out with some charters they sell a license. Some do, some don't...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, retirement sounds like a great idea! I have a lot of fishing plans this Summer and am hoping a cane doesn't get in the way of me hooking fish!

    ReplyDelete