Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Gorgeous

Thats all I can say about these two fish. The Corvina that Slah caught is 9 kilos. There are 3 different corvinas and this is about as perfect an example you'll ever see. Its the orange variety which tends to be alone and not schooled like the smaller ones. For table fair its as good as you can get, the meat is sweet and a nice firm white.
The Rooster fish is part of the Jack family like the Toro we catch which are actually Jack Crevalle. I'm not fond of the meat which although white it is pretty strong tasting. However theres alot of debate over that, some people love them and others don't. In any case they are big and supply lots of good protein. Of all the fish I've ever caught in my life hooking the Rooster in the surf is as good as it gets. Just today I got so hinky when I spotted one coming close that I tryed for some extra distance and darn near tossed the rode into the ocean. Buck fever.

I published this pic so you could see why I go to the gym. The surf rod is 15' with a 10 bearing Okuma reel loaded with 40 pound power pro. You'll notice its also set up with a Breakaway Cannon that makes it easy on your finger and creates less friction for added distance. For these fish distance is everything. Like a good golf swing its a combo of timing, quickness and power. Guys that can do it for hours like Slah are real Athletes, I have to say that I'm getting there. We routinely cast a 2 or 3 ounce lure 100 yards and when you hit it right 150 yards. When you wind up for a cast theres so much energy created that you better have it all working right. With a loop around the tip or a closed bale you're going to have a serious screw up and lose a valuable lure. You could also knock you neighbors teeth out real easy so we all keep a safe distance ...usually. The shelter I'm standing in front of is the only place on the beach to find shade. The oyster divers clothes are hanging there on the left. Usually somebody will drape a tarp or blanket over this framework and walla, a place to meet.....

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff, it looks like your having a great time. Those are some pretty cool fish you have been catching. I've enjoyed reading your blogs. Take care buddy and see you when you get home.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeffro,You are my Hero,Keep on fishin..cjf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, what's a breakaway cannon? Sounds dangerous!
    Went to the St. Paul Sportshow tonight and ran into your friend, Keith from Beaver Creek. Lots of war stories as we fish alot of the same waters in Minnesota. Unfortunately this show was not very well attended as the big show is in March, so he was pretty bored. Keith says hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It mounts above your reel Dave and grips the line for you. It makes it way easier on your finger with alot of energy on the power pro and it has less friction for a longer cast. Its a little polished aluminum knob with a lever...cool man.

    Say hi back to Keith when you see him. I read about your ice fishing gear...what do you have to haul all that stuff? A semi? I want to link the blogs and I'll do it as soon as I get it figured out....

    ReplyDelete