Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Call me Forrest Gump

You know how things just seem to always work out for old Forrest ? Its that old trick of just letting life happen, let it go baby and it'll all workout. Well, let me tell you a story.

Yesterday afternoon I was getting fired up to play music at Joses Bar. Jose went to Hermisillo to get a travel Visa and left MP, the Diva and Diane in charge of the tavern so we all thought a little live country music might boost profits for old Jose. I figure the Takamine guitar could use some new strings and as the high E was rattling a bit a little shimming under the nut. So I take the strings off , build my shim and turn it over and give it a good polish. When I go to install the new strings I'm shocked to see a big hole in the headstock where a sleeve and nut is missing from a tuner. Its kind of essential but at first I know it has to be close....I look and look and look, no shiney sleeve and nut. By now I have mini hyperventalation going so I go find MP and ask her to help look. Being the stable one here she says "don't panic" we'll find it. But we don't, its gone, lost forever and the notion of going the next 6 weeks with no music is horrifying to me.

So at 9 am this morning I'm off to the best music store in Mazatlan in hopes that they have the right tuner. Its record hot here and I know it'll be a tough bus ride, then a hike and maybe they'll have the tuner. But as I walk by the Expert Table one of the Experts, my new best friend Brian from Minnesotta asks where I'm going with the guitar. I tell him it has a broken part and I need to get to the music store. Without hesitation he says " do you need a tuner "? I just about died as he went upstairs and came back with a package of 5 gold tuners. Not only are they tuners but of all the many types made they're exactly....exactly what I need. Yahtzee! I can't believe my good fortune and my friend Phil gives me sound advice " buy more squares on the SuperBowl boards". In the pic you'll notice that one of the tuners had a gold nut, its now my favorite feature of the guitar and tonight we're gonna howl.

Also, I notice I'm closing in on 2000 reads. I'm stunned and about as flattered as a guy can be. I want to thank all of you for reading and as we go on I promise to keep the blog as non-serious, fun, light, chuckly and in a weird way important as ever. You know the age old question of the tree falling in the forrest and if it makes sound if no one is around to hear. Well, I'm on the side of it doesn't....its only music when my friends listen. Me, MP and Google thank you all.

4 comments:

  1. Well Uncle Jeff, it makes me feel closer to you. I love getting to see what you are up to. I am so grateful for you and MP being in my life. Keep up the writing. I love and miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hadn't got the tuners, you could have been "Forrest GRUMP" ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh Molly, you made my day...we love you guys too. I hope you enjoy the blog as much as I have doing it. But when I get back to Alaska the material becomes a bit more, ah, routine....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff King, aka, the Jimmy Buffet of Mazatlan!

    ReplyDelete