Sunday, November 15, 2015

Checklist

It was an even 0 degrees out  when MP shot this pic of me at Fall in hole today. As you can see the river is starting to take a set. The ice that forms from the shore on out is really strange....gorgeous crystals, the place is eerily  quiet....I'm gonna miss it in a strange way....but not to much.
Every good pilot does a pre flight check and goes through a checklist so when they get airborne they know they haven't forgotten anything and go.....oooops.  Well, this ain't life altering stuff but this is how we fly here at Mile 14. In Mexico there's certain things you can't get, certain things that are cost prohibitive and certain things that you just like real good while you're wintering at  Mile 2514. So here's how we role , my check list. The pic below is the last one you'll see for a while of me and my running buddy being hardcore Alaskan's. I saw an old friend the other day and he asked when we were leaving and of course I told him but  I'm certainly aware that people who don't ' snowbird' sometimes resent those that do....life in Alaska is tough, especially winter.  I told James that I think I've earned my snowbird status honorably after all I've been here more than 40 years...At one point when I was working and saving $$ to someday be able to buy something like this wonderful place at Mile 14 I went 14 years without leaving the State. Guide all summer, pound nails all winter, repeat....
24 ounce bag black licorice.....thanks Nate
16 oz. Demitris Bloody May seasoning
2 tubes Reese anchovy paste
Beaver brand horseradish
2 bags Louisiana Style fry batter
1 shore lunch
10 pouches smoked Alaska Sea Salt...if you haven't tried this stuff you need to
1 bottle Silver Oaks for Christmas...thanks Chris
Assorted Penzy spices including Green Goddess dressing
5 surf rods
3 reels
25  2 oz. P-line Lazer Minnow lures
100 H+H Lure co. Cocehoe rubber swim fish minnows
2  50' roles Trilene 30 lb. leader
600 yds Suffix Line
1200 yds Fireline
2 new EpiPen's
Guitar tuner, picks, capo , string winder
3 sets D'Addario phosphor bronze strings
1 Yamaha Accoustic/electric
Songbook
120 B vitamins
2 cameras
2 computers
3 phones

If I have room I'll throw in some clothes mostly shorts and poly / breathable shirts, shorts, speedo, flip flops, sandals and I'm packing a big ol SMILE....stay tuned for fish pics.

4 comments:

  1. I'm getting jealous by I'll get over it in 68 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait till you see all these fishing rods. I kinda figured that huge Bazooka of mine shouldn't go down with just a rod or two so I spent the summer finagling for more. One is a 10' caster that was made for plunking the Columbia river and I took the eyes off and put spinners on. Then one is a little 8 footer they had discounted at the new Bass Pro...Then I traded a fishing trip for a really nice homemade 11 footer with a Loomis blank...and then I fixed the Okuma 12 footer, not so sure it will hold up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to check them out. In my new department I have a new Shimano ultegra surf spinning reel built for light weight and distance that brought out the best in my St Croix 10ft rod that I hardly used last year. I can't wait to give it a good workout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Ultegra looks sweet...but it also looked big and I have a really good large reel in the Saltiga

    ReplyDelete