Monday, December 7, 2009

GYM RATS

I used to be soft and flabby. Now I'm just flabby. Six years ago I had an awakening, I was weighing 245 pounds and I relised that the next step 250 is an 1/8 of a ton. So as my way of doing things goes I jumped into the gym experience with both feet. At first its a bit initimadating and knowing absolutely nothing about weight lifting I wasn't seeing much progress. But low and behold as I went along I learned it all. Stridations and vascularity, cardio's and fat burns, carb loading and protein shakes, french curls and flys, theres just alot to it I found out.

Theres a certain wonderful dynamic in the gym that takes a little getting used to. The young guys that come in call it the 'showroom'. Where else in society do full grown secure men routinely tell each other they look good? Where else can you look at yourself in the mirror for 5 minutes and have it be normal ? Where else can you grunt, groan, sweat and slobber and have it be normal ? So as you can tell I was made for the gym. Everyone in the gym has the same simple goal...to be healthy. The support and motivation is really the key to making progress in the gym. Its the people that make it work.

This is a picture of some of my friends. Candy and Josh Braud on the left and Geof Bonin on the right. These guys are SERIOUS bodybuilders. Josh has won the overall at the Alaska IBBF state championships making him Mr. Alaska. Geof has won about everything he enters and was named Mr. Anchorage a few years ago. I told him that as far as I was concerned that made him Mr. Soldotna too. These friends have been an immense help to me with diet and lifting technique. Although I do wonder about Josh's future in politics. I was having elbow pain and I went to ask him for advice....first thing he said "have you considered you might be to old for this?"

This picture is my friend Bernie. This was a few years back when he placed 2nd in the GrandMasters division. I believe at the time he was my age now, 56. Bernie was one of the guys that first inspired me in the gym. He's upbeat, interesting, healthy and around the gym he's gracious with his time mentoring and helping everybody. Like Reggie Jackson, Bernie is the straw that stirs the drink. The next picture are the strong guys in the gym. Rex, Lorenzo and Scott. These guys are incredible and when they're lifting you can feel the pavement move in the parking lot.

When I started in the gym I had no idea where it would lead. Besides the obvious I have had so many other wonderful benefits. I've met alot of new friends. I listen to my I Pod all the time and so I've learned new song after new song. I think I do my job with increased energy and I look forward to new challenges. MP and I always have that time together coming and going from the gym. Like everything she and I support each other at it.

The last pic will give you an idea of where I'm at with it. Alot of the supplements are everyday things that people should take. Some of the others might be voo-d00 or they might not be. All I know is I feel great and if its all a placebo effect....I don't care.


3 comments:

  1. I forgot to tell the part Dave about how I'm just about had it with Chicken breasts and tuna fish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Jeff.... wouldn't you just love to give it all up and watch Nascar all day while eating some homemade marble divinity??? I could hook you up...

    ReplyDelete