Sunday, December 13, 2009

Its all in the Music


If I died tomorrow I hope somebody somewhere remembers me as a musician. Its by far the hardest thing I've ever accomplished. Not being naturally talented at anything my secret to modest success is simple...hard work and practice.
Naturally through the years my learning has been influenced by the people I've met along the way. I had a guy named Mike Casey show me how to play an E chord using my little finger so I could then bar it on up the neck. Big break through, I was now playing Louie Louie, Hang on Sloopy and Wild Thing. Then in High school my friend Dave Williams convinced me that with a C, D and G chord progression I could play almost anything, Country Western that is. He also convinced me that you need to be really loud as quite often people will talk over you or maybe even turn the stereo on when you're playing. Then in Alaska my friend Steve Blossom taught me my signature song, Taxi. Then my friend Stan Kluth came along and taught me alot. The biggest thing I learned from Stan is that he's just plain and simple a gifted fantastic musician. When we'd play together I'd get lost from listening to him instead of playing music. He also taught me to write down my song list, he being a bit older than me knew about the upcoming memory lapse deal. Then my friend Ben Ellis came along and I learned to change the tone of my voice from moving to and away from the Mike. I also learned that just the right amount of really good Tequila can enhance your sound.

So today I practice an hour most nights. When I turn the amp on Jet-Dog goes into the bedroom and MP usually migrates to back of the house as well. Afterall, she's heard my newest song Lacey J Daltons 16th Avenue 134 times already. In the summer the equipment and me go to the garage. Every aspiring musician has heard their parents say " take the *%#@ out in the garage". Well, I'm still in the garage. Right now my biggest challenge is learning to run a drum machine that I have. I figured to really fill in my sound for the tavern I need some acompanyment and seeings as I've never kept time well the drum machine is a perfect fit. But its a complicated machine and I can tell mastering that deal is going to be way difficult.

For me the music is everything. I like the sound and most people respond to it, one way or another. Through the years the music has been a steady friend, giving me joy and comfort.

The top picture is of me trying to sponge a few free cervesa in front of the Mayan Palace in Mazatlan. The second pic is of me and Sam doing a duet. Who would have ever thought that a guy like me would rather hang out and play music with his kid than almost anything in the world. The 3rd pic is just me doing what comes kind of natural if you let it...howling.

So in a few weeks me and the black guitar will be in Mazatlan. I have many friends who enjoy some party music and I'll play downtown here and there a bit. One of my favorite things is to play at my friend Rays clothing store. He and I swap the guitar back and forth and it creates a real fun atmosphere while he sells his goods. See all you guys real sooooooooon!

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post Uncle Jeff! Within our family, you're not only the "patriarch" but your music has been a key part of making our gatherings complete over the years. One of the best parts of my wedding day was you playing after the guests had mostly left & everyone was hanging out at your house. How cool that it's something that you can share with Sam and also as part of your Mexican life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those nice thoughts Mel. I'm still trying to figure out what a "Patriarch" really does....

    ReplyDelete