Thursday, December 17, 2009

Man Hunt at Mile 14

Living on the edge of civilization here at Mile 14 has its challenges.
Last nights events are a good example.

At 3:30 we were awoken by Jet-Dogs no B.S. bark. I grabbed the gun from the bedside table and went to her in the living room where she was looking towards the river. It was fairly light with good moonlight reflecting off the fresh snow. I could see nothing. I went to the kitchen to look the other way towards the neighborhood and standing in the lot next door about 50 feet away is a guy in carharts. I can't believe it. I open the garage man door and yell "who are you", "stop right there". As he walks toward the road he tells me he's doing nothing wrong, just going home and he swears by his daughter that its true. I decide I'm going to grab him and take a few steps out the door with no clothes on and he takes off running down the road towards the subdivision. I go in and call 911.

Two Trooper cars arrive within 5 minutes. The snow is fresh and they easily track him through the subdivision to the highway then through some yards back to near our house where he ran behind a house then slid down bluff to the river. ( the river is open and running but frozen from the bank out 10 feet or so). The troopers are hot on his tail as he heads up river to the Big Eddy area where like here is little access. So they drive back and forth on Big Eddy road knowing he has to pop out somewhere. I get in the truck and help. At about 5:30 am they arrest a person for disturbance coincidently in the same manhunt area. One trooper car takes this clown to jail while the other an me continue to look. At 6:30 am they get a call of a break and entering taking place on Big Eddy Road. Yahtze, game over. They arrest a young guy wet from the waist down and having no shoes on.

As there is nothing down river from us I need to know where he came from. so when it gets light Roy who owns the cabin at Fall-In-Hole and myself back track this idiot. It took us 3 hours. This guy was seriously lost in the woods for a long time and 2 or 3 miles worth. He came down from the highway and was trying to find Roys cabin as he knows that its a safe place isolated from the road sytem. Why we're not sure yet. The good news is he's in the crowbar hotel. At one point this guy literally walked in circles for over a mile. He must have been frantic and hypothermic when he finally stumbled upon the Boat Launch road and had to risk walking through the property to get out. His tracks went around our house, less than 10 feet from our bedroom window.

This was pretty exciting to say the least. Its all part of life at Mile 14 I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Good man! Reminds me of the time the sun was about to rise and I heard loud crack. Jumping to the window I saw a Subaru with a guy sitting in the back with a baseball bat. They were smashing mail boxes. I rushed to my truck and almost lost them until I figured out to just follow the damage. Called 911 as I caught up to them. Slowing down I stayed on them as 4 officers surrounded them. They had smashed over 200 mail boxes that night and even more strange, they were 3 law enforcement students. Judge made them pay restitution and write a letter of apology. Better yet as word spread, you don't screw with the guy who lives on the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good Dave....you just can't sit back and let this stuff happen.

    That mail box deal could really backfire. I could see a sturdy one making the bat recoil and smacking the hell out of the intoxicated idiot swinging it.

    ReplyDelete