Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Me and MP


Being full of love and goodwill during Christmas Season I thought I should write about love itself. Like many a love story from the early 70's of Montana ours started in the bar. After a night of dancing I left my coat knowing she'd feel obliged to return it and I'd see her again. She did and our first date was the next weekend to a Bachman Turner Overdrive concert in Missoula. It was chaperoned, me, her and my good friend Jim Hunt, and I think we took Luke Jims dog. During the concert I of course had to get to the front row and MP being reluctant got seperated from me. During the encore the band threw white roses to the crowd and I caught one for MP. When I found her in the parking lot she wasn't quite as mad as she would be if that had happened now but she was still steaming pretty good. I on the other hand had a real rose to give her and the left side of my brain thought that made it all OK....This I guess signaled things to come.

What first attracted me to MP was the simple fact that she was actually interested in me. I guess thats the feeling of love, when you can't believe they really actually like you. She drew wonderful artwork that intriqued me and she signed it MP Brown so walla, I started calling her MP. Me being a bit on the selfish, egotistical, independent side as a young man made our first few years a bit difiicult. Alot difficult. But her heart trumped my stupidity and we were set for a life together.

One of the best things shes ever done for me is she gave me Alaska. On July 27th 1973 I was in a commercial fishing accident. I lived, my friend didn't. I went to Montana feeling done with Alaska and met MP. She came up with $600.00 from a school grant and offered to take us to Alaska with it, I wanted to buy a color T.V.. We had a wonderful time, we'd work in Alaska all summer and fall then go ski in Montana for a few months and then return for another hitch. They say time heals all wounds but for me it was MP. But in the winter of 78 I got the ultimatum...no marriage, no MP. Now I got to looking at this beautiful, sharp, interesting and fun woman and then thinking about Soldotna during the pipeline boom and even the most selfish part of me had to admit I'd be complete idiot if I didn't get married. So here we are 33 years later.


We've been through alot and I don't want you to think shes perfect, just perfect for me. She makes piles, she's the only person I know with junk drawers in the beverage holders of the cars. She loses money, she finds money. She snores. She has this maddening way of shaming me into doing the right thing. Its easy I guess, I could do the wrong thing but I couldn't ever let her down so...I do the right thing. Well, you guys all know those feelings.

So the next Blog entry will be remote from my 2nd home, Mazatlan....and yup, she's coming with me.......All our best in 2010.






4 comments:

  1. You two are pretty well joined at the hip! Enjoy Mexico, I want to see some good fish pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rumor control has it that the fishing is really slow right now. But I see on the tide chart that starting on the 29th we have some very favorable sized tides in the a.m. so we'll see what happens. My goal this year is to catch a 20 pound corvina from the surf like my friend Ernie did a few years back....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post & the pictures! I'm sure glad she's put up with you for all these years. You all have a great Christmas & keep us updated from Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so romantic I got tears in my eyes. You rock, Jethro. Love you guys, ju ju.

    ReplyDelete