Tuesday, January 18, 2011

In Search of Antiquiety


Today our team took a hit. Diva and our friends Chris and Orlon Valan had to jump the jet back to america. So as a unique way to celebrate out time together we decided on a road trip 50 miles north of here to make sense of the oldest signs of man in this area, the Petroglyphs at Los Labradas. I had been there before so I new this wasn't no tourist trap. Its genuine - call an anthropoligist, 2000 B.C. , hand carved rock, and lots of it. Theories abound on why ancient man would take time from his busy schedule of hunting, gathering and procreateing to slice up rocks in the middle of nowhere...or maybe it was somewhere then....or it could have been a spiritual retreat or maybe just a really old art studio. But it's certainly cool and only in Mexico can you climb on them, fish off them or whatever. The shapes all have meaning, the round is said to be weather and hurricanes, the stick people speak for themselves and the animals illustrate sustainance. I printed a pic with my fishing rod to give perspective. All in all it seems that our forefathers in this area used the place as a sort of rallying point, a place to find your way with messages to help. It must be working, I'm finding my way just dandy. And when I need a rallying point I couldn't have pick a prettier place to have one. The 2nd pic is the beach and rocks with the carving. Its just us, nature and an ancient puzzle.

The bunch of us spent a couple hours climbing on rocks and discovering shapes and sizes. We did a little tidal pooling and you know me, I had to fish some. A few years back we discovered the most scenic restraunt I've personally ever seen. Its called ' Mirador"' in the tiny town of Pixtala which is at the end of a long hard cobble, back and truck jarring dirt road. But as you can see from the next pick, its flat worth the effort to get there. The pic is our friends Chris and Orlon right after we'd dined on shrimp and crab. These two are a great couple and to explain there absense today in the best way would be to say....the energy level here is not the same as it was. Orlon is a farmer in Minnestoa and Chris works at MSU.
As exciting as the day was I went to bed at 8:00. I've had 3 days off the fishing and Slah and the Ernst are picking me up at 5:30....hell of a vacation eh?. We stop and get our newest team member, my friend Jason Potts and we're off on the Maxipista to fish Black Rock at sun up. We fish the semi lite hour and Jason loses a really nice fish in the surf but with no other bites we move on to a new place. Presto, Jason catches a nice Corvina on a plastic swimfish and Ern finally hits on a metal lure. I can't get a bite but I do some serious casting. Finally me and Jay decide we're about done up, its 10:30 and my arm is starting to ache. We sit in the sand and do what guys like us do....talk fishing and Slah comes and grabs my rod. He loves this rod, everyone agrees that that I finally have the 'perfect' set up for medium weight and distance casting. The rod came from my friend Don Simone in North Kenai Alaska and the reel is a new Shimano Stradic 4000. So , Slah in no time hooks a Corvina and I wade the surf and grab it for him. He says " Jeff, with this rod I could fish all day"..... I say "cool...get after it, you do the work and I'll lend ExCaliber", the name we've given through the years to a handful of enchanted fishing rods.

No comments:

Post a Comment