Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Moe-Joe


That might not look like much to you but thats one pretty darn good day of fishing for Team X. This morning Slah and Ern took the 4-wheeler out and Jason and I drove out in Jay's Nissan, as cold as its been the car ride is just more civilised and I'm still a bit congested in the lungs. You don't get to what we call 'two bridges' by accident, its out the Maxipista 10 miles, then back around a mile to a turn out near an emergency phone then through the woods on a maise of one lane roads and walla, you're there. We park the car and Jason jogs to warm up, its maybe a quarter mile up the beach and I can see Slah has a fish on already, corvina 1. So we get set and Jason hooks up on his favorite plastic on the first cast, corvina 2. Incredible, Ernies got one on as soon as he gaffs for Jason, corvina 3. Three casts later he has covina 4 on the beach and not long after that the Ernster lands corvina 5 while Jason loses a really nice one in the surf. After a while Jay catches corvina 6 and Ern catches about the biggest Seirra I've ever seen, a real beauty. Then we settle back into a morning of fishing thats more like what we're all more used to.....

Whats happened here is something every fisherman knows, I call it momentum. ' Objects in motion tend to stay in motion' , its basic physics that more practicaly means that when things are going good they keep going good.....the flop side of course we know all to well . So for the last few weeks Ernie's had a hard time getting the tug, well, today he transfered that moe-joe to you know who. Moe-Joe transference...I like it, what a great fishing phenomena. It ain't the first and I certainly hope not the last time that I have fish repel syndrome and you know....I had a great day, great!

I have a pic of the boys in the line up. Its like choreography, we fish next to some rocks and so everybody actually fishes the same water. But with guys that fish this good they could all stand toe to heal and not get tangled, they cast and watch, wait a sec then cast again....no problems ever.
The next pic I printed large because its pretty incredible. The power of the surf is amazing and people get knocked over and rolled around routinely...but not Jason. This guys athleticism is incredible, he goes out with the surf to cast for max distance then pieroits back to high ground resisting water up to his hips rushing back down the beach. Jason is a retired Pro Beach Volleyball player and to watch him fish must be a bit like it was to watch him play volleyball. He's a 100% guy for sure and Team X was lucky to find him.
This next pic is the catch all shined up for show. All month long we've been kind of 'oneing' or 'twoing' them to death so it was nice to see them stacked up. And, I figure we can do better tommorrow, afterall....objects in motion tend to........

As for me, well who needs a tug on the line when you're with good buddies, in Mexico, with nobody in sight and surrounded by nature. The last two pics are critters that live in the saltwater estuary that we fish along. Its always crowded with egrets and spoonbills and oyster catchers and Herons. If you click on the pic I think you'll be impressed. But today was the first reptile we've seen. As Jay and I waited for Slah and Ern to arrive we watched this guy lay around trying to warm up like the rest of us, then he sauntered into the water and did that 'down periscope' deal I've see on t.v. Yup, I got to see my first ever wild living, bona fido, look him in the eye, saltwater Croc. Great day man.
But hey Ern.... I want the Moe-Joe tommorrow.

4 comments:

  1. It was all good up until the "Croc"...just as bad as running into a "Brownie" on the other side of the river I presume...maybe a little less threatening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    That was a great post. Do the boys ever cook those fish, local style as I'll bet it out of this world. The Green Bay Packers have made it to the Super Bowl making us Cheesehead pretty pumped. I suspect Max informed you of our wonderful -28 degrees last Friday morning. Per your previous post, I think it was around 30on the Kenai, not that it matters to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh Dave....The Corvina is great table fare, its perfectly white flaky meat. My favorite is zereanado style, the fish is not filleted but kind of 'broken' into 3 pieces that are held together then basted with a dark sauce and then grilled over a mesquite fire. Yesterday after fishing we were invited to have breakfeast with some guys who fished near us. They had a grill over the fire with a pan of Machaca, a kind of seasoned pulled beef and a huge vat of beans. we grill the tortilla and then fill with both and it was pretty darn good....I thought taking pics would be bit goosh.

    Seeings as my jets are gone, I'm with you on the Pack...Max says its flat cold, he's looking for a new job, his restraunt got repo'ed. Hope you're good.......

    ReplyDelete