Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas in Mazatlan

That's the view from our balcony last night as we played scrabble after a supper of slightly over barbied fresh tuna and shrimp. I thought I had the tuna right, purple in the middle and seared on the outside but I let it go just a bit to long and she was kinda medium rare. Next time. As always MP is on the cutting edge of caring, she put up the first Christmas lights in our building for everybody to enjoy... and they're Chili Pepper lights at that.

One of the reasons we're here now is Christmas. With Max and Sam both in the 48 and my sister in Oregon  and brother in Montana and MP's family as well....that big ol prime rib just seemed kind of weird with just the two of us remarking  how wonderful it was.  So here we are and already I can tell this is going to be a dandy, I'm feeling ju - ju just like this couple of sun worshippers I came across while fishing this morning.
In Slowdotna the city puts snowflakes up on the light poles, well here in Mexico they go a bit farther and use what they have at hand. Its the land of the Deer so its easy to find a Venado to pull your sleigh.

Right around the corner from the Aquarium that we so much enjoy is an old fashion Midway set up. Its got it all, vendors selling special Christmas indulgences like Mary Kay products as well as farm animals and of course the kids favorite stuff...rides. And its all gorgeous and well kept, just perfect.
And doesn't MP look cute standing there with frosty. And...we got a pic of me with the kind of tree I always wanted as a kid. Ours were always the same, a real tree with  the same  ornaments and you better not get caught throwing the tinsel on....it has to be placed. But I always liked those white flocked trees with the blue bulbs and a light that turns to change its color, that's what I always wanted.
Towering over the Midway was the Stratosphere cable car. If  any Americans ever feel to far away from home when they're here I think this ride proves how close to home we really are. I couldn't miss noticing the Lady Liberty right there as part of the locals Christmas.
But the coolest of the cool was Mazatlan's first ever genuine ice skating rink. Blew my mind. The mayor can't really make it snow here but he's got the technology to create ice for the kids.  It opens at 11:00 and MP and I get there early. The kids who work it put cones out in the middle to create an oval and the line was 30 deep, the kids were giddy with excitement. And for some reason I had it in my mind that they'd open the gate and the kids would create the usual Currier and Ives Central Park skating scene...... mmmmmm..... all but one or two had never been on ice of course and it was just kind of a Conga line along the boards holding on as they went.

MP and I just enjoyed the dickens out of it, maybe its a good sign when you feel great just to see young people have fun at being kids, just that. It didn't take long and the kids were figuring it out...and you know teenagers, never miss a chance for a hand holder. I thought maybe I'd skate myself, you know me, I'll try anything twice but I kinda figured ' su para los ninos' , its for the kids.

And then we ran into Santa and in Mazatlan he's politically correct. He ain't no red Santa, he's a blue Santa....I mean , who's more liberal than Santa ? He gives everything away to everybody, he doesn't burn fossil fuel and he  works for milk and cookies....way to go Santa.


No comments:

Post a Comment