Sunday, December 23, 2012

Its a small world

My first corvina for the 2013 surf season, tonight its being dusted with Shore Lunch batter and its going to be soooo good. So far I've caught snapper, a corvina, many toro and I've hooked 2 roosters. Yesterday morning I got a bit of buck fever and screwed up a really good chance at the Roosterfish. He chased the mullet within about 30 feet of me, I cast but he didn't get the lure so I retrieved quickly and really wond up with all 190 pounds for the long cast and....air knot. Jeez. Out of the game. It happens every so often with the braid and because its 20 pound test the size of 6 pond mono it can take a long time to sort out. And, its so expensive that you have to, cutting it is not an option. Slah uses a special German made braid that's even smaller diameter so when it happens, patience is the key. That's a huge part of fishing. Here's Slah at work on an air knot, from him I've learned.....sit down, be cool, take your time, breath through your nose.
Kinda funny. Last fall I'm out for a bike ride and run into a couple we know who are about as active as us. Don't ever get into a walking contest with Sharon Radke...but anyway, we talk and find out that they go to Mazatlan and will be there for three weeks like right now. They're river people like us and Bill comes through our boat launch. When my sister was head of the Union,  Sharon was in school administration so they were sparring partners.  So, yesterday we went on a Stone Island excursion together and now we're better friends, we had a great day. Here we are, Bill , Sharon, MPeasy and measy.....smilin.
So we're sitting at 'our' palapa place. Pele's which is run by our old friend Rudy. We're doing what you do on the Las Isla, having cerveza and for some reason we were cheating on Mazatlan and having Corona's right when Santa came by on  a sleigh being pulled by a 4-wheeler. I have to get a pic but I'm a little slow so Rudy says lets jump on the wheeler and head him off at the pass.
Well wouldn't ya know, we get around in front and I hop off for my photo opportunity so I can be a famous blogger and walla.....Santa's little helper is ANOTHER  friend of ours from Alaska. Its Jimmy Torpey and as you can see he already has his hand out for a shake. My friend Curt Syness used to say " its a small world...until you try to paint it".
So it was about as good a day as you can have in Mazatlan Mexico, 25 miles from the tropic of Cancer on the day after the day after of when the world was supposed to end.  We even ran into the sandman while we were heading headed to the water taxi AND he was  decent enough to be wearing a swimsuit.
Merry Christmas to all of you that read Mile 14. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Ordinary Fish Mounts

    ReplyDelete